ICP custody options
Do you want maximum control of your keys?
No? Then use third party custody solutions
Third party custody solutions allow you to interact your ICP and trade-off consumer experience for control. The trade-off is simple: if you do not feel comfortable managing your own keys and are willing to have a third party have access to your keys for the sake of being hand-held through the process, then 3rd party solutions can be the right choice for you.
Here are some examples:
Yes, then use self-custody
- ICP custody with NNS frontend dapp
- ICP custody with Ledger Nano
- ICP Custody with Quill (Minimalistic ledger and governance toolkit for cold wallets) Networked computer
- ICP custody with seed phrase and air-gapped machine
Self-custody: Maximum ease option
If you choose self-custody, the simplest option to consider is: ICP Custody with NNS frontend dapp.
- It's the most convenient, entirely web-based, with no need to download or install anything.
- The NNS frontend dapp has all the functionality you need
- This is a very common method
- Ideal for people who want to want the easiest path to control their ICP
- This custody solution has staking and voting built-in if you want to participate in governance
Self-custody: Maximum control option
If you choose self-custody, the options which maximizes control are:
- This option requires more technical understanding
- Users have the most control over their ICP.
- This is the safest option from a software point of view because the user relies on less software surface area, but it is the riskiest from a human point of view in that it puts the risk of the user's seed phrase and private key custody on them.
- Ideal for people who want as much control over their ICP as possible
- This custody solution has staking built-in if you want to stake as well